Predicting Social Media Trends for 2018
In the past year, we saw a number of trends and consistencies throughout several social platforms that only has us wondering what’s to come in 2018! From the rise in “stories” on Instagram, to the expansion of live streaming on Facebook, to the increase in character limit on Twitter, all social media platforms have marketers at the tips of their toes, trying to adapt and stay on top of their online game.
As 2018 begins, we can only hope to see new features that are beneficial and easy to use, both for advertisers and their consumers. Here are the Top 6 Social Media Trends we’re predicting to see a lot more of in 2018:
- Instagram Stories and Highlights: With Instagram’s newest feature up and running, we can only predict that brands will be using the tool to their advantage. We predict to see brands, organizations, social influencers and even bloggers to use Stories and Highlights as a way to showcase their services, products or work. Learn more about Instagram Stories and Highlights here.
- “Swipe Up” Features on Snapchat and Instagram: Social media companies, Instagram and SnapChat have been battling it out trying to find what features users like best on their platforms. One feature in particular that both have adopted is adding links to their stories to increase traffic and drive sales. With the new “Swipe Up” feature on Stories, we can also assume that these brands will be driving their audience to their website or blog!
- Instagram Boosting Promotion Posts: Instagram is a social media platform that marketers should be on the lookout for in 2018. With the algorithm is changing and boosting posts is on the rise, we predict to see a higher volume of promoted posts existing on Instagram’s timeline. Although organic reach won’t go away, brands might have a harder time reaching their desired audience if they aren’t already getting lots of engagement. Marketers should make 2018 the year they get familiar with advertising on Instagram in order to stay relevant!
- Increase in Live Streaming: Now that most all popular social media companies have live stream features on their platforms, we can only predict that we will see a lot more of it! Whether you’re wanting to promote new product, service or experience with your audience, you can always count on live streaming as an option to engage with your followers in real time. With technology improving and marketing changing, will you use this tool as part of your advertising strategy?
- Increase in Video Advertising: Social media feeds are saturated with so much content that it makes it difficult for brands to deliver effective messages without it getting lost in the midst of it all. One thing we can predict is that consumer will scroll right past your post if you don’t have a visual attached to it. In 2018, we also predict that it isn’t just any kind of visual! With the rise of 360-videos and AR/VR videos, marketers will have to be unique when executing video on social media in order to gain impressions and engagement.
- Shift in Engagement on Facebook: After 2017, Facebook users are worn out from clickbait, fake websites and brands begging for shares, likes or comments. Facebook recently announced their change in algorithm to make the content people engage with more meaningful. We predict that there will be a shift in content, which will hopefully result in higher quality posts. The best practices to use in your posts would be to engage with your audience like a human being and not a brand. Use creativity and personality to deliver quality content to your audience.
We hope our predictions shape your 2018 marketing strategy and help you stay ahead of the game! What do you trends expect to see more of in 2018?