Instagram Aims at YouTube: IGTV
Today Instagram announced a brand new app for watching long-form video on Instagram called IGTV. Videos posted to Instagram have long been limited to only 60-seconds, which means that most users still rely on YouTube for long-form video. Now you will be able to upload hour long videos to IGTV.
Things that make this app unique are:
- Videos are full screen and vertical- Most people prefer watching content the same way they hold their phone, so this is a nice addition.
- Content you may like is surfaced to you automatically- The channels you follow will automatically show you content.
- There are channels (just like on regular TV)- An easy way to keep up with content from a specific creator.
Why does IGTV matter for summer camps?
- The average user spends more than 30 minutes a day on Instagram so this is just another way we can reach our camp’s target audience (campers, staff and younger parents) on a place they are already spending time
- Camps tend to have really beautiful long-form videos and this will be a great place to showcase those (tours of camps, webinars, etc)
- Most Camps would never be able to advertise on actual TV channels (high barrier to entry and cost), but there will (eventually) be advertising opportunities available on IGTV
I’m excited to see what kind of content comes out of IGTV and how summer camps begin to use this innovate marketing space.