How Your Organization Can Benefit From #GivingTuesday
You may have heard of #GivingTuesday or may have seen a brand’s campaign for #GivingTuesday online, but what exactly is it and how can it help your organization? #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving to families, communities, charities, companies non-profit and for-profit organizations through donations or fundraisers all through the power of social media. #GivingTuesday is known as being the day of generosity and giving back to the recipient of your choice. The movement takes place the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving, this year it’s on November 28th, 2017.
#GivingTuesday has become an important part of the giving season, and several organizations, brands and companies take advantage of the opportunity to capitalize from the movement. Organizations and companies have used the campaign as a way to ask their supporters to give back to their business since the movement began in 2012. Since 2012, donations have increased by 90%.
How can you take advantage of #GivingTuesday for your camp or organization? Here’s four ways to get started on your marketing strategy for your brand:
1. Start your social media marketing early:
- People won’t just give a donation because you asked nicely. People give when they want to give. Usually they’re motivated by your organization’s story, what your organization can offer, or by a video on social media that highlights your organization. Giving is the result of inspiration.
- Start your #GivingTuesday planning by finding the target audience or demographic your organization wants to inspire.
2. Prepare content and create a communication strategy:
- Most of #GivingTuesday funding is fueled online, so you will have to reach directly to your social media followers and email list. A campaign won’t work by sending out a tweet, Facebook post or email with a link that says “Donate here!”, you should be creative.
- Send out social graphics or content on social media a week in advance to start encouraging your followers to support your organization. Most donations come flowing in the day of #GivingTuesday, but reminding your followers in advance can increase the amount of contributions.
3. Reach out to your supporters and make it personal:
- The best place to start is with the people who already support you. Reaching out to your loyal clients, consumers, past donors or individuals who are familiar with your organization is a great way to kick off your campaign.
- The most popular form of giving is making a donation personal. Get creative with your cause. If you’re a youth-focused camp, tell donors that the kids in your camp will excel in the program because their donation.
- Don’t just tell, but show how a potential donor’s donation can do for your organization.
4. Use your resources:
- You don’t have to build a landing page or website dedicated to #GivingTuesday for your organization! You can use free and easy resources that are available to you like Facebook.
- Your organization can easily accept donations straight from your Facebook page by using the donate button. Simply add the donate button to your Facebook page and easily receive contributions from your followers.
For more information on donations through Facebook, visit: https://donations.fb.com/#section-1-jumper